Welcome to the Carlin Coffee House Open Mic!
Our open mic is from 7:30 – 10:30 pm with a break at 8:45 pm. There will be 14 performance slots available on a sign up board in the “green room”. The plan is to have 7 performances prior to the break and another 7 performances afterwards. Each set can consist of up to 3 songs. Out of respect for our audience and volunteers, please ensure that you plan a set list that is 10 minutes in total length (including chat between songs). We do our very best to ensure that everyone has an opportunity to perform. To allow this to happen, we will be organizing the coffee house as follows:
• Doors open at 6:30 pm. Sign ups must be done in person and is completed when the 14 available slots have been filled
• If we have more performers than we have slots for, preference will be given to performers who have not performed at recent Carlin Coffee Houses. We may also reduce performance times to allow for more performers.
• Performers are not expected to pay the $3 admission fee.
Tips for Performers
Please be considerate and do not go overtime.
- Sets are a maximum of 10 minutes each. This time goes by fast if you plan to talk about yourself and your material as well as perform!
- Pace yourself accordingly, which means you probably have time to perform three songs. If you have chosen to perform longer songs please pay attention to the 10 minute rule and reduce your set to 2 songs.
- When in doubt, check with the host.
Tune up and be prepared
- Make sure your instrument is in tune and that you have all you need to perform BEFORE you go on stage. Please let us know if we can help.
- Be ready to move on and off the stage when asked.
Present well-practiced material
- We all want to present the best show possible so please know your material well before you come to perform.
- Please keep your material appropriate for a family audience.
- This is an acoustic music event. Smaller “acoustic” amplifiers and small base amplifiers may be allowed at the discretion of the host(s).
- Preference is given to material of typical song length (usually 3 – 4 minutes).
Green room etiquette
- Sound carries into the hall. Please keep the green room door closed and your warm-ups and conversations quiet so you do not disturb the performances (sound travels to the stage and to the audience members near the room).
Be a good audience member
- Be courteous – keep conversations and noise to a minimum while performers are on stage.
- Performers are encouraged to stay for the entire evening. It’s a great way to meet people and support the other musicians.
Have fun and we hope to see you again!